First-Year Goals: Transition & Retention
The Smart Start Program (SSP) requires genuine commitment from all student scholars. The undivided attention of each and every participant is essential to achieve success within the SSP. Scholars will feel prepared post-graduation due to the growth gained through experiencing the SSP. Our core values are outlined below as attainable goals, which encourage student scholar success and growth:
- By the end of the 2nd semester, 100% of participants will attain a cumulative 2.75 GPA or better.
- By the end of the 2nd semester, 100% of participants will complete a minimum of 30 credits.
- By the end of each semester, 100% of participants will have their university account at zero.
- By the end of the 1st week of class, 100% of participants will complete a goals conference with an SSP Counselor.
- 100% of participants will have zero (unexcused) absences from any one class, meeting, or gathering.
- Display an attitude of clear motivation and engagement at all times.
Smart Start Learning Standards
Learning Standards set expectations for enrolled scholars to achieve within the first year of their undergraduate careers. Student scholars and faculty work together to evaluate the scholar’s performance which is measured through the Summative Assessment-for-Learning at the end of each semester.
- Time Management Mastery
- Academic Expectation Mastery
- Healthy Choices Competence
- Math Competence
- Financial Literacy
- Informational Literacy
- Language Arts Disciplinary Literacy
- Academic Enrichment Resource Literacy