Smart Start Mission
THE SMART START PROGRAM (SSP) is a retention initiative under the guidance and support of the Office of Multicultural Student Services. We work to facilitate the successful transition and retention of students whom are first in their family to attend and graduate from a four-year university, during their first year on campus. Students who actively participate in this program will strengthen self-efficacy, broaden their perspective of campus wide resources, and enrich their ability to learn and succeed at the post-secondary level.
Smart Start First-year Goals for Transition & Retention
The Smart Start Program (SSP) requires a genuine commitment from all involved in delivering or receiving services. We want the undivided attention of the each and every participant, and to accomplish that, we must set goals that are challenging for staff and transformative for our student participants. We must work hard to achieve our goals in life, and experience real growth. We must never set low achievement goals that are labeled as “realistic” or seem more “doable”. Our intentions are to set appropriate “Goals” that make “no mistake” in communicating our core values for facilitating student success and growth.
- By the end of the 2nd semester, 100% of participants will attain a cumulative 2.75 gpa or better.
- By the end of the 2nd semester, 100% of participants will complete a minimum of 30 credits.
- Be the end of each semester, 100% of participants will have their university account at zero.
- By the end of the 1st week of class, 100% of participants will complete a goals conference with a SSP Counselor.
- 100% of participants will have zero (unexcused) absences from any one class, meeting, or gathering.
- Display an attitude of clear motivation and engagement at all times.
Smart Start Learning Standards
Herein lies the core of SSP instruction & advising standards by which the students and staff agree to work together to periodically and consistently measure the student’s “Assessment-for-Learning” as well as conduct a summative assessment at the end of each semester. Our Smart Start Learning Standards are the basis for what we expect our participants to achieve within their first-year of study. We measure the progress of each individual student, and guide him or her in adjusting goals to address specific areas, which are in need of improvement.
- Time Management Mastery
- Academic Expectation Mastery
- Healthy Choices Competence
- Math Competence
- Financial Literacy
- Informational Literacy
- Language Arts Disciplinary Literacy
- Academic Enrichment Resource Literacy